What did everyone do for Earth Day?
I decided to get the last of my supplies to finish up my raised garden beds. I've been procrastinating way too long. I went to a local landscaping company to purchase dirt because I've decided that buying bags isn't really that cheap- at nearly $6 for 1 sq ft, $10 for 2 sq ft for a bag of decent garden soil, 16 sq ft will get EXPENSIVE... And my local librarian gave me the dirt (pun intended) on this company and the info about it. Anyhow, for 1 cubic yard of dirt (that includes compost, manure, peat, etc) was $40. That would be more than enough for my two beds, including all the dirt I've already purchased via regular method (i.e. Home Depot and "shudder" Hell-Mart).
Here's the dude that will be loading up my pickup with my lovely dirt...
A little close for my comfort, but I had to get some action shots here!
Not the most flattering of shots, but it could be worse. I figured I would try to do 2 screws per corner because I was low on screws (and didn't want to go get more- see it's dark outside in this pic). Then ah-ha, I realized there was an easier way to build my bed than my prior attempt. I measured 1 3/4" in from the end of each piece of lumber, then drilled the pilot holes. I still set the pieces together to make sure the holes went flush, but this helped me to not have to switch bits back and forth.
Here's my beds, all finished up for the night and ready for the fillin'.
Yes, Miss Ladybug, there's going to be lots more pollen around here for you soon... Please stay around!