You all know I love me some food. I've loved to cook ever since I was 11 years old and my mother worked two jobs, essentially leaving my brother and I to either fend for ourselves (microwave totinos anyone?) or figure it out and learn to read a recipe or two. However, since having weight loss surgery, I focus on healthy but very flavorful meals for my family. Here's a recipe that I wrote when doing a coconut oil review and giveaway, that I had to bring it over and share it with my current readers!!! It will just give you a little tidbit of summer in all this dreary winter weather.
- 1 lb raw, wild-caught large to jumbo shrimp
- 1/2 jar fruit based salsa (I am in love with a mango/peach blend
- 1/2 c crushed pineapple + juice
- About 1/3 cup Tropical Traditions Gold Label Coconut Oil
- Chopped Garlic (I used like 3 fresh large sized cloves)
- Finely Chopped Onion or Shallot (1/3-1/2 medium~ about 1/3 cup)
- Dash of Crushed Red Pepper if you want a little extra kick of spice
- Peel the shrimp, leaving on the tails.
(Obviously thaw if frozen)
- Chop 1/2 onion (or shallot), 3-4 cloves garlic (or more if you're like me and believe garlic should be its' own food group).
- Pour about 1-2 tbsp coconut oil into pan, sauté garlic onion, do not let the garlic and onion burn or brown! You want the onion translucent.
- Place shrimp in sauté pan with the mango/peach salsa, pineapple, and 2 more tbsp coconut oil.
If you have prep time, can prep the night before, or can freeze ahead, try to let the shrimp and yummy goodness flavors marry together.
- Finally toss shrimp and entire marinade mixture in the sauté pan. Sauté until shrimp become pink all the way through.
Also, if you want to try cooking with coconut oil, or using it with some home remedies, please go check out my giveaway for 1 gallon of Virgin, cold pressed, Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions which ends on 1/16/14~
Disclosure/Copyright: You may copy recipes on to your own computer for personal use; however, you CANNOT copy this recipe in its' entirety and place on your website without giving complete credit to Ramblings of Mama. You may share recipes in email or websites or IN PART, as long as credit is given to Ramblings of Mama as the author and provide a clickable text link DIRECTLY to the recipe on our blog. You may not sell or charge for access for any recipes copied from this blog. If sharing on Pinterest or other social media, please do not replicate entire recipe in description; please provide direct link to this post. Links above may contain affiliate links.